[pulseaudio-discuss] [alsa-devel] Alsa USB Audio regression

Raymond Yau superquad.vortex2 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 14 18:40:02 PDT 2013

> After Ubuntu 10.04 LTS (Ubuntu 10.10 works, Ubuntu 11.04 doesn't work at
> all, Ubuntu 11.10 and newer have the bug), the headset only plays sound
> at maximum volume level if the volume is turned down just a little no
> sound is being played.
>
> I have filled a Ubuntu bug for 12.04 LTS at:
> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/alsa-driver/+bug/1200925 .
> I was advised to contact this mailing list.
>
> AlsaInfo for Ubuntu 12.04 LTS with the bug:
> http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=3bde76b15a15f585418a6a4a4703ca67fd4cdf42.
> AlsaInfo for Ubuntu 10.04 LTS without the bug:
> http://www.alsa-project.org/db/?f=5824e55345c3f7128937405254485a489886b9dc

It is strange that dB range of your usb audio is 0 to 0.14 (only small gain
and no attenuation)

In 10.04 LTS pulseaudio provide software volume control

( 1.095| 0.000) I: alsa-sink.c: Driver does not support hardware volume
control, falling back to software volume control.

control.6 {
comment.access 'read write'
comment.type INTEGER
comment.count 1 comment.range '0 - 37'
comment.dbmin 0 comment.dbmax 14
iface MIXER
name 'Speaker Playback Volume' value 30 }

 In 12.04 pulseaudio did not provide software volume attenuation and use
the speaker playback volume control