[pulseaudio-discuss] xrdp pulse sink

Jay Sorg jay.sorg at gmail.com
Tue Jul 16 10:52:47 PDT 2013

Hi Tanu,

Thanks for response.
>> Two questions I have.
>>
>> 1 - is there an easier way to build custom sinks without replacing the
>> PulseAudio system.
>
> I don't think so. We don't support out-of-tree modules.

OK.

>> 2 - can I get an xrdp sink into the PulseAudio source upstream?
>
> Yes, if we think that an xrdp sink makes enough sense to justify the
> maintenance cost. Why do you want to have an xrdp sink instead of using
> a tunnel sink that we already support in PulseAudio?

I looked at the tunnel sink module.  It requires another pulse audio
server on the other side and it uses TCP.  In RDP, the audio is built
into the protocol.
I looked at all the modules in pulse audio.  I didn't see one that fits.
The FIFO module comes close.
What I need is a unix domain socket module with a very simple API for
communication.
I also need to run many on a server at one time so the unix domain
socket name is in an environment variable.

Is there something like this now?  If not, can I submit one?  It does
not need to be branded "xrdp"

Jay