[pulseaudio-discuss] xrdp pulse sink

Jay Sorg jay.sorg at gmail.com
Mon Jul 22 11:11:38 PDT 2013

Hi Tanu,

> After giving some thought to this (and a bit of research), an xrdp sink
> seems like a good idea. As you say, it would be more convenient for
> users than a tunnel module setup.

great.

> An alternative solution would be to load a null sink, from which xrdp
> would then record the application output and send to the client, but
> doing that would mean adaptive resampling somewhere in the RDP software
> stack to handle the rate deviation between the null sink and the
> client's sound card. Assuming that the RDP protocol works so that the
> audio clock is provided by the client sound card, that resampling could
> be avoided by implementing an xrdp sink.

Actually, I did this first.  This was an ugly solution.  First I did
the simple API, then the other one.
The problem is that when you record, you always get data.  There is
not way to know if there is really something playing.  I think I was
looking for zeros to know.  But I had to constantly pull the audio
data so my thread would always be running.
The sink solution was much better.

Yes, the RDP protocol uses acks and time stamps so you know the clock
on the client.

Jay