[pulseaudio-discuss] xrdp pulse sink

Jay Sorg jay.sorg at gmail.com
Tue Jul 23 01:31:51 PDT 2013

Hi David,

> Hi, it's always nice to see new contributors wanting to do great stuff with
> PA :-)
>
> But could we have a little overview of the greater picture so we're sure we
> choose the best solution here?
>
> First, is this for Linux clients talking to Windows servers, the other way
> around, or both?

It's for RDP clients(Linux, Windows, Mac, Andriod) connecting to Linux
xrdp servers.
RDP defines the audio within the protocol so this sink is just used with IPC.
MS opened the protocol, here is the audio part.
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc240933.aspx
In the case of xrdp, there is no MS code on the server side, all open source.

> Second, how is the xrdp sink connected to other applications and libraries?
> Does it mean more build dependencies for PA? How is it synchronised with
> video?

I use a unix domain socket with a simple message API.  No added dependencies.
This is just audio, can be used with video but this level is unaware.

Here is the sink, it's really simple.
You guys will find this familiar.
https://github.com/FreeRDP/xrdp/blob/master/sesman/chansrv/pulse/module-xrdp-sink.c

> Third, we talk about an xrdp sink, will there also be an xrdp source, or is
> this not needed, for what reason?

Yes, we need a source too.  Again, no dependency.  Just a domain socket API.

If you don't want to label it xrdp, it could be a generic unix domain
socket sink / source.
Maybe other remote desktop projects can use it.

Jay