[pulseaudio-discuss] [BUG] Using bluez 5.5 & pulseaudio a bluetooth headset cannot be used as a recording device.

Alexander Winnig vernehmlassung at googlemail.com
Tue Jun 4 04:10:31 PDT 2013

>> I re-copied a new wheezy-image on my sd-card. Now pactl list sources
>> short shows the bluez-device. But still, an empty file is the output.
> How exactly did you record the file? Did you ensure that you're
> recording from the right source? If you use parecord, you can give the
> source name with --device=sourcenamehere
  parecord -r --device=bluez_source.00_1A_7D_11_C0_66 mm.wav

in my case. Creates a crackling sound in the earpiece and a mm.wav of
zero bytes, no matter how long I record.

>> I have the impression that you need to make the headset believe that a
>> phone call is coming in for it's mike to become active.
> I've never heard of such headsets. At least my headset allows PulseAudio
> to use the microphone at any time.

By Headset I mean this
http://www.iqua.com/sites/default/files/images/slim_high5.jpg

So I talked to the carwhisperer author martin. He said that he couldn't
help me in this case as he doesn't know his code anymore well enough. If
you are interested, find his code at
http://trifinite.org/trifinite_stuff_carwhisperer.html#downloads

Maybe you / someone else can find the real cause.