[pulseaudio-discuss] Bluetooth + HSP + Raspberry?

Tanu Kaskinen tanu.kaskinen at linux.intel.com
Thu Jun 13 04:39:45 PDT 2013

On Thu, 2013-06-13 at 13:17 +0200, Bram de Jong wrote:
> Hi Tanu,
>
> > The text that you quoted refers to the functionality provided by
> > module-bluetooth-policy. That module loads module-loopback automatically
> > when a bluetooth source (a2dp or hfgw) appears. I think PA2 supports the
> > hfgw profile, it just doesn't load module-loopback automatically. You
> > didn't say what you want to do with the audio from the phone, so I don't
> > know if you even need module-loopback, but if you do, you can load it
> > manually just fine.
>
> What I want to do is use the Raspberry as a speaker only using the
> low-latency HSP (which you cann HFGW) bluetooth profile. This should
> mainly be for making calls from another computer.
>
> [Computer with e.g. skype]----> [raspberry]---->amp/speaker
>
> Where the sound input (i.e. microphone) will be the computer's microphone.
>
> > If you have already successfully streamed audio from your phone to the
> > pi using a2dp, then you have already used the pi as a fake headset. The
> > only difference with HSP is that instead of the a2dp_source profile, you
> > need to set the bluetooth card in pulseaudio to use the hfgw profile.
>
> Would that be:
>
> pacmd set-card-profile <cardid> hfgw
>
> This seems to fail:
>
> $ pactl set-card-profile 3 hfgw
> Failure: Input/Output error
>
> The same with pacmd reports: Failed to set card profile to 'hfgw'.
> (I'm still confused as when to use which)

It's simplest if you forget that pacmd exists. Always use pactl.

> Syslog:
> [pulseaudio] module-bluetooth-device.c: HandsfreeGateway is not
> connected, refused to switch profile

My guess is that whatever method you use for connecting the headset, it
doesn't connect the HFGW profile. I haven't used HFGW myself, so I don't
know the command to connect the profile, but I guess you need to call
the org.bluez.HandsfreeGateway.Connect() D-Bus method somehow.