[pulseaudio-discuss] Bluetooth + HSP + Raspberry?

Mikel Astiz mikel.astiz.oss at gmail.com
Fri Jun 14 03:03:24 PDT 2013

Hi Bram,

On Fri, Jun 14, 2013 at 10:20 AM, Bram de Jong <bram.dejong at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Mikel,
>
>> As Tanu mentioned, this can be done calling
>> HandsfreeGateway.Connect(). You can do this in command line or using a
>> tool such as d-feet. People tend to think that Audio.Connect()
>> connects all audio profiles but this is not the case in BlueZ 4: you
>> have to explicitly call HandsfreeGateway.Connect() for HSP/HFP and
>> AudioSource.Connect() for A2DP.
>
> Aha! Hmm, I'm using d-feet but I can't see the method
> HandsfreeGateway.Connect on bluez. I do see Audio.Connect, but no
> mention of HandsfreeGateway.

That's because oFono is not running or correctly set up.

>> Alternatively, you can initiate the connection from the phone. This
>> should work out of the box assuming the device is marked as trusted.
>
> I'm actually always initiating from the phone side. On Android I do
> have a checkbox on the phone that reads "Media audio: connected to
> media audio" which to me sounds a bit like A2DP and not HFS.

Exactly (but "HFS" should be HSP/HFP).

>> More importantly, in order to make all this work, you'll also need a
>> telephony component which implements the headset role (note that BlueZ
>> doesn't do this). I would recommend oFono 1.12 but older versions
>> should also work fine.
>
> Is there anything specific I need to configure for this to work or
> does the package just need to "be" there?
> Also, as I said before, I'm only trying to OUTPUT the audio to the
> HSP/HFP, not use the Pi as a microphone, or does ofono need to be
> present anyway?

oFono needs to be present anyway, it makes no difference that you're
interested in one-way audio.

Installing oFono should generally be fine assuming it was compiled
with --enable-bluetooth. In a similar way, BlueZ should be compiled
with --with-telephony=ofono.

If it doesn't work, make sure your BlueZ audio.conf includes
Enable=Gateway. This might be necessary depending on the exact BlueZ
version you're using (e.g. some distros have patches to enable this
profile/role by default).

Cheers,
Mikel