[pulseaudio-discuss] failure to connect to alsa "equal" device

Bram de Jong bram.dejong at gmail.com
Fri Jun 14 08:31:34 PDT 2013

Hello all,

First of all, googling I found an email that describes exactly the
problem I have right now:
http://www.mail-archive.com/pulseaudio-discuss@mail.0pointer.de/msg04635.html

The summary in command line style:

pi at raspberrypi ~ $ cat /etc/asound.conf
ctl.equal {
  type equal;
  library "/usr/lib/ladspa/cmt.so";
  module "fbdelay_5s";
}

pcm.plugequal {
  type equal;
  slave.pcm "plughw:0,0";
  library "/usr/lib/ladspa/cmt.so";
  module "fbdelay_5s";
}

pcm.equal {
   type plug;
   slave.pcm plugequal;
}

pi at raspberrypi ~ $ aplay -Dequal piano2.wav
Playing WAVE 'piano2.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate 48000 Hz, Stereo
(sounds like it should)

pi at raspberrypi ~ $ pactl load-module module-alsa-sink device=equal
Failure: Module initialization failed

Nothing in the syslog... Back then in 2009 ALSA was blamed but I was
hoping that this would have been solved meanwhile. Is this the case?
Am I missing something else?

Alsa-base: 1.0.25+2+nmu2
Pulseaudio: 2.0-6.1

Thanks!