[pulseaudio-discuss] Bluetooth devices no longer detected after upgrade from 2.0 to 4.0

Georg Chini georg at chini.tk
Sun Jun 30 05:48:39 PDT 2013

Hi again,

On 30.06.2013 12:57, Mikel Astiz wrote:
> Hi Georg,
>
> On Sun, Jun 30, 2013 at 11:00 AM, Georg Chini <georg at chini.tk> wrote:
>> On 30.06.2013 10:28, Mikel Astiz wrote:
>>> Hi Georg,

>>> This looks perfectly fine to me. The Bluetooth source is no longer in
>>> use (you moved away the source-output) and therefore SUSPENDED, as
>>> opposed to the source-output which is pulling audio from the alsa card
>>> (your sound card, I guess).
>>>
>>> You should check whether your alsa source is RUNNING. If not, you
>>> might have hit an issue. I however think this is completely unrelated
>>> to the Bluetooth modules.

>>> Have you tried loading module-loopback (regardless of BT devices) with
>>> the same sink and source (as resulted from your sequence above, i.e.
>>> probably from alsa to alsa) and see if the issue with the rewinds
>>> reproduces?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Mikel
>> Hi Mikel,
>>
>> this only happens with the BT device and only if the phone is not
>> playing. I can move the source to another device when the phone
>> is playing without any issue. I can also move other source devices
>> around without triggering the problem. The BT source is suspended
>> even if module-suspend-on-idle is not loaded. Maybe the problem is
> If the phone is streaming no audio the source will be suspended
> regardless of module-suspend-on-idle. If you have a closer look,
> you'll see that the suspend cause is USER.
>
>> that when the phone goes inactive the effective profile is "off" and not
>> the one that was last used. The issue is also triggered if I load the
>> loopback module for a2dp_source, wait until the phone is inactive
>> and then switch to hfgw.
> Can you describe again the actual issue you're having? I'd like to
> distinguish whether there's some inconsistent state in PA or not.

See below.

> If I get this right, you switch the profile to hfgw and move the
> source-output to the corresponding source. At this point, the question
> is whether hfgw is actually streaming audio or not. If yes, BlueZ
> should be in 'playing' state and PA should expose the profile as
> 'available: yes' (use pacmd to check this). The source should be
> RUNNING and the source-output too. Besides, you should see the audio
> bars moving in pavucontrol for the hfgw source and also in the
> playback tab (show: "All stream").

Yes, all of this is the case. The problem occurs AFTER the phone goes
from playing to connected.

In my script, I do the following:
Initially, there is no loopback module loaded. When the phone goes
to "playing" (regardless if it is a2dp_source or hfgw) I insert loopback
modules. If it is hfgw one from my microphone to the phone and one
from the phone to my sound output, if it is a2dp_source only one from
the phone to my sound output.
When the phone switches back to "connected" instead of unloading
the module(s) I move them to my default sink and source and mute the
source-output so that I do not hear the microphone on my sound output.
When the phone goes to "playing" again I reuse the loopback modules,
unmuting them and moving them back to the BT source/sink.
I keep different modules around for a2dp and hfgw, so when a phone
is able to do both and both have been playing at some time, then I have
3 modules loaded. This worked fine with Pulseaudio 2.0.
With 4.0 the problem occurs at the moment the modules are moved away
from the BT source.

To make sure the issue is not triggered by my script I tried to reproduce
it without any additional software. That is what I described a few mails
ago.
You get the phone to "playing" and then insert the loopback module manually
using pactl. This works fine, you can hear the sound. Then wait until the
phone goes back to "connected" state. If you now reconnect the same profile,
sound is still audible.
But if you move the source after the phone played and is back to connected
(again, manually with pavucontrol) the issue will start. So to trigger
the problem,
the following conditions must be met:

- While the phone is playing (it doesn't matter if it is a2dp_source or
hfgw),
    a loopback module with the phone as source is inserted
- The phone goes back to "connected" and the source-output of the loopback
    module is still connected to the (now suspended) BT source
- In this situation you move the source away from the source-output of the
    loopback module

The exact symptom is that the loopback module is unusable from that
moment on
(no sound, regardless which sink/source you choose) and with debug
logging the
rewind messages can be seen and continue until the module is unloaded.

I guess the issue is, that the source is invalid at that point. When the
phone
goes to "connected" the corresponding source and sink do no longer exist.
Now you try to move a source that seems to be there but isn't really valid.
You cannot - for example - move the source from "SUSPENDED" to "RUNNING"
because the connection can only be initiated from the phone end. Maybe
some part of the software tries to read from that source when it moves
and never receives data.

> I'd also question why the source output is muted. You obviously won't
> get any audio if you mute the stream.

See above.

> Cheers,
> Mikel