[pulseaudio-discuss] Chrome is changing my volume

Tanu Kaskinen tanu.kaskinen at intel.com
Mon May 6 04:51:16 PDT 2013

On Mon, 2013-05-06 at 01:14 -0600, Bearcat Şándor wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I'm running pulseaudio 3.0-r1, jack 1.9.9.5 and chromium 27.0.1453.56. My
> volume is jumping up and down.  Not from soft to loud, but it's a
> noticeable jump.  Softer...then louder...softer...louder.  When i click a
> tab or do something that might make an application system sound my volume
> goes down for 11 seconds.  Then it goes back to what it was. This happens
> with out my interaction such as receiving an email. I've never heard chrome
> actually make a sound by the way.
>
> What i see is that when it's softer a "chromium" volume control appears in
> the applications menu of my pulse audio control.  It's louder when that
> goes away.  So is chromium trying to play a sound or something and when it
> turns on it's stream my master volume is being set to that?
>
> This seemed to start when i updated from 3.0 to 3.0-r1.

What is "3.0-r1"? Would it be possible for to confirm that this is
indeed a recent regression by installing the official 3.0 release from
source and comparing it to 3.99.1?

The usual explanation for what you're seeing is that the decibel
information that ALSA provides us is incorrect, and if you have flat
volumes enabled, event sounds can cause the sort of volume fluctuation
that you're observing. This is nothing new in post-3.0 versions.

Intel Finland Oy
Registered Address: PL 281, 00181 Helsinki
Business Identity Code: 0357606 - 4
Domiciled in Helsinki