[pulseaudio-discuss] Problem with USB sound card - clicks and pops on re-open

David Henningsson david.henningsson at canonical.com
Mon May 13 02:09:13 PDT 2013

On 05/12/2013 05:18 PM, Christian Iversen wrote:
> Hi everybody
>
> Here's a problem which I can't solve by googling, but maybe you can help?
>
> I have a USB sound card - Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
>    (lsusb dump: http://paste.yt/p2674.html)
>
> It's running with the snd-usb-audio module
>    (lsmod dump: http://paste.yt/p2675.html)
>
> I'm running on Kubuntu 13.04, but this has been a problem for a while.
>
> The issue is this:
>
> """
> Every time the sound card is initialized, it goes through a series of
> loud and annoying pops and clicks. They seem fairly regular, and always
> follow roughly the same rhythm: click-pop-pop-pop-pop, occasionally with
> more pops at the end of that.

You're lucky!

I happened to buy a Scarlett 2i2 not too long ago, and was able to fix
it. Well, at least the long startup time. Not sure if it completely
removes all clicks though (I mainly use it for recording).

Please see these patches, the first one is for the long startup time:

http://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/tiwai/sound.git/commit/sound/usb?id=fa92dd77ec5623cc0546acb77ee61a0a7ea4f0f0

For the extra "Digital" device showing up in PulseAudio:

http://git.alsa-project.org/?p=alsa-lib.git%3Ba%3Dcommit%3Bh%3D2d5ad69e4e338789cc281276dc9c7efa2726dbde

For the input to show up in PulseAudio:

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/pulseaudio/pulseaudio/commit/?id=068a3ec9d4383e92241b72c7d146a42a189473b8

And...because I use it on top of 13.04 too, I happened to have a DKMS
package around for you. Install it, reboot, and test! Here it is:

http://people.canonical.com/~diwic/temp/oem-audio-usb-sampleratev2-dkms_0.1_all.deb

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
https://launchpad.net/~diwic