[pulseaudio-discuss] Making module-zeroconf-publish non-blocking

Tanu Kaskinen tanu.kaskinen at intel.com
Wed May 15 04:19:04 PDT 2013

On Wed, 2013-05-15 at 14:06 +0300, Tanu Kaskinen wrote:
> On Wed, 2013-05-15 at 16:02 +0530, Arun Raghavan wrote:
> > It's a ping message to the Avahi daemon (which is not running), and the
> > timeout takes this long. The relevant code is:
> >
> > http://git.0pointer.de/?p=avahi.git;a=blob;f=avahi-client/client.c#l564
> >
> > > expected behaviour, so fixing this in PulseAudio is working around a bug
> > > elsewhere. I support any patches that remove blocking IO from the main
> >
> > The default timeout is 25s. So a long block is not unexpected.
>
> I don't think you can draw such conclusion. You could say "so a long
> block is not *necessarily* unexpected". A ping operation should not take
> multiple seconds to process, but it may of course be that Avahi is busy
> with other stuff. If the design of Avahi is such that periods of
> unresponsiveness may happen during normal operation, then a long block
> during pinging can be sort of expected.

Uh, I was ignoring the fact that Avahi isn't running in your tests. Is
it auto-starting as a result of the ping from PulseAudio? If yes, I
guess it's less surprising that the ping takes some time, if the Avahi
startup is slow. If auto-starting is not used, then the D-Bus daemon
should quickly send an error.

> > However,
> > I don't see the timeout take this long every time. I'm trying to find
> > out why this is.

Intel Finland Oy
Registered Address: PL 281, 00181 Helsinki
Business Identity Code: 0357606 - 4
Domiciled in Helsinki