[pulseaudio-discuss] Realtek 887-VD troubles

Fabio Coatti fabio.coatti at gmail.com
Mon May 20 06:41:07 PDT 2013

Hi all,
I'm struggling to get pulseaudio working on a machine with Q77 chipset (
device.product.name = "7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family High Definition
Audio Controller",alsa.mixer_name = "Realtek ALC887-VD") but so far I had
no success in getting pulseaudio working with 5.1 setup.
Basically, my motherboard supports 2/4/6/8 channels configuration but
pulseaudio activates only 2ch config.
I'm using KDE and phonon shows only (using default configurations)
left/right channels, (internal stereo audio)
If I force pulseaudio to use all 5.1 channles, adding the following lines

enable-lfe-remixing = yes
default-sample-channels=6
default-channel-map =
front-left,front-right,rear-left,rear-right,front-center,lfe

in /etc/pulse/daemon.conf

pulseaudio shows 5.1 channels (even in kde phonon), but front channels
(l,r,c) works fine; lfe no sound and rl and rr are not working, anly a very
low volume comes out from front speakers.

I've tried all suggestions from google, mailing lists and forums as well
but no joy so far.

===============
Linux 3.9.3

$ aplay -L

sysdefault:CARD=PCH
    HDA Intel PCH, ALC887-VD Analog
    Default Audio Device
front:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
    HDA Intel PCH, ALC887-VD Analog
    Front speakers
surround40:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
    HDA Intel PCH, ALC887-VD Analog
surround41:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
    HDA Intel PCH, ALC887-VD Analog
surround50:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
    HDA Intel PCH, ALC887-VD Analog
surround51:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
    HDA Intel PCH, ALC887-VD Analog
surround71:CARD=PCH,DEV=0
    HDA Intel PCH, ALC887-VD Analog

==========

pulseaudio -vvvvv tells a different story, here an excerpt from output; I
can provide full output, I didn't posted here to avoid unnecessary
cluttering
[...]
D: [pulseaudio] alsa-mixer.c: Looking at profile output:analog-surround-51
D: [pulseaudio] alsa-mixer.c: Checking for playback on Analog Surround 5.1
(analog-surround-51)
D: [pulseaudio] alsa-util.c: Trying surround51:0 with
SND_PCM_NO_AUTO_FORMAT ...
D: [pulseaudio] alsa-util.c: Managed to open surround51:0
D: [pulseaudio] alsa-util.c: snd_pcm_hw_params_set_channels(6) failed:
Invalid argument
D: [pulseaudio] alsa-util.c: Trying surround51:0 without
SND_PCM_NO_AUTO_FORMAT ...
D: [pulseaudio] alsa-util.c: Managed to open surround51:0
D: [pulseaudio] alsa-util.c: snd_pcm_hw_params_set_channels(6) failed:
Invalid argument
D: [pulseaudio] alsa-util.c: Trying plug:surround51:0 with
SND_PCM_NO_AUTO_FORMAT ...
D: [pulseaudio] alsa-util.c: Managed to open plug:surround51:0
D: [pulseaudio] alsa-util.c: snd_pcm_hw_params_set_channels(6) failed:
Invalid argument
D: [pulseaudio] alsa-util.c: Trying plug:surround51:0 without
SND_PCM_NO_AUTO_FORMAT ...
D: [pulseaudio] alsa-util.c: Managed to open plug:surround51:0
D: [pulseaudio] alsa-util.c: snd_pcm_hw_params_set_channels(6) failed:
Invalid argument
I: [pulseaudio] alsa-util.c: Failed to set hardware parameters on
plug:surround51:0: Invalid argument
D: [pulseaudio] alsa-mixer.c: Caching failure to open
output:analog-surround-51
D: [pulseaudio] alsa-mixer.c: Skipping profile
output:analog-surround-51+input:analog-mono - will not be able to open
output:analog-surround-51
D: [pulseaudio] alsa-mixer.c: Skipping profile
output:analog-surround-51+input:analog-stereo - will not be able to open
output:analog-surround-51
D: [pulseaudio] alsa-mixer.c: Skipping profile
output:analog-surround-51+input:iec958-stereo - will not be able to open
output:analog-surround-51
[...]

Can someone give me an hint about how to sort this issue out? I'm pretty
sure that I'm doing something wrong, but I'm not able to find what.

--
Fabio