[pulseaudio-discuss] [BUG] Using bluez 5.5 & pulseaudio a bluetooth headset cannot be used as a recording device.

Tanu Kaskinen tanu.kaskinen at linux.intel.com
Wed May 29 08:05:07 PDT 2013

On Tue, 2013-05-28 at 16:00 +0200, Alexander Winnig wrote:
> Headset used Iqua BHS-611.
>
> How to reproduce this error:
>
> 1.    sudo hciconfig device up
> 2.    hcitool scan
> 3.    sudo bluez-simple-agent hci0 <mac>
> 4.    sudo bluez-test-device trusted <mac> yes
> 5.    pulseaudio -k; sleep 4; pulseaudio -vv;
> 6.    pactl load-module module-alsa-sink device="btheadset"
> 7.    pactl load-module module-alsa-source device="btheadset"
> 8.    aplay -D btheadset -f S16_LE wave.wav
>          Works
> 9.    arecord -D btheadset -f S16_LE wave2.wav
>          Recording WAVE 'wave2.wav' : Signed 16 bit Little Endian, Rate
> 8000 Hz, Mono
>          Final wave2.wav is always 2.092 B in size and contains only a
> wave header and zeroes.
> 10.    parec
>          Shows no output.
>

> Please use as a bug report or - better - show a solution.

PulseAudio doesn't yet support BlueZ 5 (except the "next" branch in git,
but even that doesn't yet support the HSP profile, which I guess is what
you're trying to use with the headset).

As for problems with the alsa bluetooth plugin, that's not PulseAudio's
problem. My impression has been that the alsa plugin is not supported
with BlueZ 5 anymore, but I might be wrong.