[pulseaudio-discuss] Is it possible to connect to an existing stream using pulse audio?

David Henningsson david.henningsson at canonical.com
Thu Nov 7 09:05:05 CET 2013

On 11/07/2013 07:18 AM, sathishkumar sivagurunathan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My aim is as follows.
>
> 1)  I have a audio player like Vlc running. I have checked with PAMAN
> command that VLC as a client and a stream with stream name is created.
>
> My intention is to connect to this pretty existing stream.

Aha, you want to record the audio from another client. There was a patch
to pacat that does this, and that was added recently (so it's not yet in
a released version of PulseAudio). But you can either recompile pacat
yourself, or use the patch as inspiration for your own program.

Here's the patch I'm talking about:
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/pulseaudio/pulseaudio/commit/src/utils/pacat.c?id=49f93eb2b09f3a20733dbb80c6448ee69b0c89ec

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.