[pulseaudio-discuss] Edinburgh Murphy meeting notes

Tanu Kaskinen tanu.kaskinen at linux.intel.com
Thu Nov 7 10:20:33 CET 2013

On Thu, 2013-11-07 at 08:55 +0100, David Henningsson wrote:
> On 11/06/2013 06:21 PM, Tanu Kaskinen wrote:

> >> Next time you have schedule pressure, please be open about it. I'll do
> >> my best to be flexible, at least if you try to do the same for me when
> >> that time comes. I e, if you need a design to be ready by a certain
> >> deadline; let us know your deadline.
> >>
> >> While there isn't a guarantee that I can commit time to your schedule,
> >> at least having the option would be good for both of us.

> >> Sorry - I don't follow - if the design is not done with the community,
> >> you'll probably end up having to redo what you have already done, so
> >> then what's the point of porting anything to it?
> >
> > One point would be that with the new routing infrastructure in the core
> > the module would be easier to maintain and more suitable for upcoming
> > requirements. But I'm not really qualified to comment whether it makes
> > more sense to port the module on top of the new stuff even if there's
> > risk that it will all get rewritten, or to limp on with the old version
> > (I would much prefer the latter).

> >> It will be very difficult for me to do reviewing if you insist on such a
> >> plan; because the final result is so far away. I don't know if I'm
> >> capable of doing it, at least not with the limited resources I have.
> >
> > What's the difficulty with reviewing?
>
> I don't know if I can explain it better. Reviewing becomes more
> difficult as a patch set becomes bigger and more complex. And your way
> of doing iterations will not really help, if we don't get any benefit
> until the last step. Reviewing the big node patch set was quite
> difficult when you don't see all the steps in the chain.

By "steps in the chain" do you mean the steps that are going to follow
the initial node patch set? I don't/didn't see those steps myself
either, except as vague ideas. The code didn't exist. I thought that
"nodes are certainly something we need", and coded according to that. My
job is to provide enough explanation along with the patches so that you
can think "I can see how this will be useful, even though we don't get
practical benefits quite yet". If you don't understand why something is
in the code (which is what I assume you mean by the difficulties in
review), then I have failed at providing enough explanation (or
alternatively the code is just bad and should be changed).

> [...]
> > even me, although I have pretty good idea of how it will look like. I
> > will produce code that I think will make sense for meeting the
> > requirements, and I will explain to you and other reviewers why you
> > should think that code makes sense too. I will make sure there are no
> > regressions on the way (with the flag controlling whether the new system
> > is used or not), so the code can be merged to master small pieces at a
> > time. The worst thing that can happen is that the design turns out to be
> > bad and needs to be reverted.

> >> The idea that you intend to create a "complex system" is in itself
> >> frightening. Please instead try to make a system that is as simple as
> >> possible given the things you need to handle.
> >
> > That's exactly what I've been doing. It's just that "as simple as
> > possible" doesn't seem to be very simple, but I may get proven wrong.
>
> Then try to split the complexity into parts, where each part tries to
> solve its own complexity problem. As outlined in the section right below:
>
> >> To elaborate: we will have a lot of consumers of PulseAudio that are not
> >> using Murphy. We don't want all these consumers having to carry the
> >> additional complexity that comes from Murphy integration. OTOH, if there
> >> are good features that come out of this project that is likely to be
> >> useful to anyone, we want that.
> >> How can we find the right intersection, or compromise, where we can get
> >> nice features without the additional complexity?
> >>
> >> As an example of what is bad with complexity, consider the rewinds
> >> feature, that has kept us from having a proper effects API, because it
> >> was too difficult to implement when you had to take rewinds into
> >> account. In theory the complexity of rewinds is not a blocker for an
> >> effect API, but in practice, it has been.
> >>
> >> What future features that will be blocked from having a complex routing
> >> system remains to be seen, but it is not unlikely this will happen at
> >> some point.

> >> Yes, I understand this position. When working in iterations, you
> >> sometimes end up taking detours. That's the drawback. But the benefits
> >> of risk reduction, easier reviews etc is greater. IMO.
> >
> > If a middle point contains nothing that can be reused in the final
> > design, the middle point is all wasted effort.
>
> It wouldn't even count as a middle point if *nothing* can be reused. But
> it really isn't *that* bad, is it?
>
> > But if you insist that
> > it's very very important to get rid of the "use new system" flag as soon
> > as possible (i.e. reach a point where the new system can be enabled by
> > default), I can try to think of the smallest possible design that would
> > allow that, and yet would move towards what I think should be the end
> > result.
>
> It would be good to have that as an option, but I can't really
> understand why there has to be a flag at all, instead we can have both
> routing systems work in parallel during a transition period?

If the two systems work in parallel, there will be two systems
controlling the same resources (stream routing, profiles, ports), and
conflicts will be highly likely (or rather, avoiding conflicts will
require a lot of extra work at least in terms of thinking about all the
possible scenarios, but perhaps also in terms of code). It is perhaps
feasible to move the controlling of routing/profiles/ports piece by
piece from the old system to the new, but the benefit of the flag
approach is that it's much easier to be confident that there are no
regressions during the transition phase.

That said, this discussion has forced me to think how I might go about
moving the control of routing/profiles/ports piece by piece if I really
had to, and it feels less impossible than I previously thought.