[pulseaudio-discuss] Configurable Latency for DLNA / Network Audio Streaming

Simon Boulet simon at nostalgeek.com
Thu Nov 14 08:22:12 PST 2013

Hi,

I have a set of SONOS speakers. Currently I can stream my audio to the
SONOS system through DLNA. I have successfully configured Rygel to work
with PulseAudio. It works great, however the best I could do is get ~1
second latency (encoding the stream to FLAC - the only encoding type I
could get my SONOS to accept - and streaming it to the SONOS, which I turn
does its own decoding / encoding and wirelessly stream to the desired
speakers). This make the setup unusable for movies playback or games (I'm
especially interested in movies, for games I'm using headphones anyway...).

I noticed that PulseAudio as a "device latency offset" options and is
capable of informing the upper layer (applications etc.) of the audio
subsystem latency. I was wondering if it is possible to create a "virtual
device" with a configurable latency (ex. 1 second latency) to offset the
DLNA streaming / encoding / decoding delay. I think the tunnel driver is
using something similar to keep the source and target in sync. When
watching movies I would set the output devices for the video applications
to the virtual latency-enabled device. This would signal the application
that audio as a 1 second latency (and I suppose video playback would take
this into account for the video output?)

Can anyone confirm if this is feasible, and perhaps share some thoughts
about how it can be done.

Thanks

Simon