[pulseaudio-discuss] How to set media role variable ??

sathishkumar sivagurunathan sathish1000 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 20 07:57:00 PST 2013

Thanks Tanu for the detailed reply..

A) I would great if whatever I am intending to do could be added to
pulseaudio. But I feel what I need to do is already implemented in the
module "Module-role-cork" --> Essentially priority assignment between the
streams played by pulseaudio.

B) The only differentiator is that instead of the (media player or skype)
application assigning the media.role variable, I want the Audio Manager or
Routing system (to which the other applications like skype and media player
register) to manage assignment of this variable..

C) I have a question in this regard. I have listed it below.

So "*if I can keep the Module-role-cork running by adding it to the
default.pa <http://default.pa> file, I hope that assignment of the media
role variable will take care of priority (what is to be corked and
uncorked).*" -- Is this assumption right ??

D) So the module intent to write has the following aim :-

     Based on the Audio Manager or routing mechanism status, media.role
priority of the particular audio stream needs to be assigned..

*E) I have a few doubts in my mind abt the way in which the module can be
called*. In your reply, you have mentioned that the module can call and
consult the Audio Manager. Is the other way possible. In order words,

*Is their by any chance the module can loaded from my routing mechanism
code itself.. *

>From the simple test I could carry out, the command line arguments for this
prioritizing functionality seems to go like this
  "*pactl load-module <module-name>*". Is there by any chance I can load
these modules from a C++ program.

F) I also tried to carry out a few simple test to check how the routing
works in pulse audio when media player is playing when a phone call over
skype arrives.. But in ubuntu 12.10, the MODULE-ROLE-CORK command doesnt
seem to working. I am using pulseaudio 2.0.

I had tried in ubuntu 12.04 LTS. the module "MODULE-CORK-MUSIC-ON-PHONE"
seems to be working good for me (pulseaudio 1.1). *Is that I should upgrade
to the latest ubuntu version 13.10 and check..*

G) The command format I used in pulseaudio 2.0 to load the
"module-role-cork" is like this

*    pactl load-module module-role-cork trigger_roles="phone"
cork_roles="video"*

    Is this the right way to do this..

Thanks,
Sathish