[pulseaudio-discuss] What-did-you-plugin-dialog

Tanu Kaskinen tanu.kaskinen at linux.intel.com
Thu Nov 28 08:09:54 PST 2013

On Tue, 2013-11-26 at 16:58 +0100, David Henningsson wrote:
> On 11/26/2013 02:47 PM, Tanu Kaskinen wrote:
> > Upstream pulseaudio isn't in the business of showing dialogs.
>
> Ehm, given the fact that we even had a GSoC project (which was never
> merged) which was *all* about showing dialogs, I think you want to
> reconsider this statement.

OK, I'll soften the statement to "in my opinion PulseAudio shouldn't be
in the business of showing dialogs". I don't remember if I criticized
the GSoC project idea at all at the time it was discussed. Perhaps my
thinking has changed since then. Currently I do wish that the problem of
popping up notifications would be handled outside PulseAudio, so I'm
certainly not a fan of the notification framework thing.

> Also, I don't remember you stating anything in this direction when we
> discussed this in Edinburgh. I thought we had an agreement that it was
> OK for PulseAudio to control the dialog?

I remember advocating an approach where PulseAudio would not control the
dialog, and if I recall correctly, Colin suggesting using the
notification framework from GSoC. It's possible that we agreed
something, but unfortunately I don't remember that.

As I said earlier, I don't want to block the work on this issue. I'm
just expressing my personal opinion about how the responsibilities
between PulseAudio and the UI should be divided.