[pulseaudio-discuss] How to control playback start timing (RAOP)

Hajime Fujita crisp.fujita at nifty.com
Thu Oct 17 05:04:32 CEST 2013

Hi,

I've been working on raop2 support for the raop module.

Currently when starting playback through RAOP, there is a huge delay in
sound. 2-3 sec after starting music from a player software, actual sound
starts being heard from the speaker.
And as a result, there is a gap between a screen and sound. For example,
progress counter of a player software shows "00:03" when the actual
music begins. This would be a serious issue when playing movie.

I'm wondering how I can solve this issue. I think most of the delay is
due to protocol initialization and impossible to reduce. So the feasible
approach might be to tell the application that playback is not yet ready.

Is there any document or existing module from which I can learn some
idea to address this issue?

Thank you,
Hajime