[pulseaudio-discuss] Transporting sound from 'mpd' server to laptop

Thomas Martitz kugel at rockbox.org
Sun Oct 20 19:12:59 CEST 2013

Am 20.10.2013 19:07, schrieb Paul LeoNerd Evans:
> On Sun, 20 Oct 2013 18:23:50 +0200
> Thomas Martitz <kugel at rockbox.org> wrote:
>
>> I wonder if it's really in the tunnel module or somewhere deeper.
> Well, in my setup there are two modules to consider - the tunnel and
> the loopback, so I guess it could be in either. I can't easily think
> how to distinguish.

I have tried the reversed set up: I used (only) module-tunnel-sink in
the machine that produces the sound. This sink sends the stream over
immediately. The receiver just loads module-native-protocol-tcp (and
module-zeroconf-publish). The latency behavior is the same as you
describe, although I don't have run tcpdump for analysis yet.

> I have a few ideas myself for things that could be improved. Primarily
> would be a way to run a tunnel and have it push sound directly into a
> local sink, rather than simply provide a new source. That way I could
> avoid needing the loopback module.

Yea, this is what I used above. I welcome you to retry it with this set
up, perhaps I did something wrong. Although I think you cannot stream to
multiple receivers without module-loopback this way either (correct me
if I'm wrong).

Best regards.