[pulseaudio-discuss] Transporting sound from 'mpd' server to laptop

Paul LeoNerd Evans leonerd at leonerd.org.uk
Sun Oct 20 22:05:24 CEST 2013

On Sat, 19 Oct 2013 18:53:49 +0100
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans <leonerd at leonerd.org.uk> wrote:

> My first attempt was to try RTP, largely by following a few examples
> such as http://fruit.je/mpd-rtp. This works fine if I put the laptop
> directly on the same wired ethernet link that the server is, but the
> IP mulitcast traffic won't make it across the router to reach
> wireless.

For the record, I have now managed to make RTP work, to a point.

The first trick was that by default module-rtp-send uses ttl=1, so I
had to specifically set ttl=2 to make it across the router. Also
multicast routing on Linux needs some assistance from userland, so I
have installed pimd. Once this is done, the session discovery and
RTP packets do now make it across the router. \o/ Just thought I'd note
on this for future reference...

However, they do cause a massive amount of load on the router, causing
the entire network to rapidly deteriorate (e.g. ~10second roundtrip
times to SSH servers). I'm still looking into this one, though I don't
think it's directly Pulse's fault.

--
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans

leonerd at leonerd.org.uk
ICQ# 4135350       |  Registered Linux# 179460
http://www.leonerd.org.uk/