[pulseaudio-discuss] Heads-up: the routing patches will start to get merged soon

David Henningsson david.henningsson at canonical.com
Thu Apr 3 12:34:49 PDT 2014

On 04/03/2014 11:07 AM, Tanu Kaskinen wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> There's a big pile of routing patches from me that haven't been merged
> to master. Some of them have been reviewed and are in the "routing"
> branch, and some (most) are pending review. The plan was that Arun would
> review them, but it turned out that he doesn't have time for that after
> all. It appears that nobody has time to review those patches, so to
> avoid blocking the work forever, I plan to start pushing them to master
> without waiting for reviews any longer. If anyone has objections or
> questions about this, let me know.
>
> I don't expect the merging process to happen overnight, because
> currently most of my time goes to the Tizen volume API, and there's
> probably also significant amount of rebasing work to do (the routing
> branch forked from master in September).

When I stopped reviewing (mainly due to lack of time), the patches added
more complexity than it solved actual problems. I tried to point that
out repeatedly last year and help you back on track, but the latest was
a "I give up" here [1]. If this situation has not changed significantly
since, my opinion is that I don't we should merge anything of the
routing work to master. This is because the cost of the added complexity
weighs heavier than the benefit of added features (or solved problems).
If it has changed significantly, could you give a summary on why I
should re-evaluate this opinion?

But a related question, if it's suddenly okay to push complicated stuff
without review, should I go ahead and push my Ubuntu phone stuff as
well? It's been waiting for review for about half a year now.

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
https://launchpad.net/~diwic

[1]