[pulseaudio-discuss] Heads-up: the routing patches will start to get merged soon

Tanu Kaskinen tanu.kaskinen at linux.intel.com
Fri Apr 4 02:31:03 PDT 2014

On Fri, 2014-04-04 at 10:39 +0200, David Henningsson wrote:
> On 04/04/2014 10:14 AM, Tanu Kaskinen wrote:
> > Peter and Arun, what's your opinion, is this a fair
> > requirement? What benefit would be significant enough? Which of these
> > (if any) would be sufficient?
> >
> > 1) Automatic port switching when an application wants to play to an
> > inactive node: "paplay --routing=some-inactive-port-node foo.wav"
> >
> > 2) Support for loopback routing without loading module-loopback
> > manually: "pactl set-node-routing some-input-port-node
> > some-output-port-node"
> >
> > 3) Support for automatic combine sink creation: "pactl set-node-routing
> > some-playback-stream-node output-node1,output-node2"
> >
> > 4) A Murphy module that uses nodes for routing
> >
> > 5) Non-Murphy routing module that does something smart (please define
> > "something smart")
> >
> > 6) Something else
>
> I was originally hoping for a generic solution to our current routing
> issues, such as making it easy to configure which (hotpluggable)
> devices/ports should be used in which scenarios, with a sensible
> default. Maybe some type of device priority order, like Colin Guthrie
> has suggested (and even implemented, but it was never merged).
>
> And for the bug where default sink/source can change after S3, to be fixed.
>
> But it does not look like that's the direction you're heading, or is it?

I'm heading towards "a generic solution to our current routing issues",
but that solution will depend on Murphy, which will provide the
configurability and the default routing rules. In my opinion,
implementing another solution with good configurability and
better-than-current default routing without Murphy should be implemented
by someone else, if a non-Murphy-based solution is desired.

If I understood correctly, you wish that I'd implement a full generic
non-Murphy-based solution before merging the node infrastructure, but
it's unclear to me whether that wish is a minimum requirement or not,
and if it's not, what's the minimum requirement? Something to remember
is that nodes aren't useful only for automatic routing, they also
provide a nicer routing interface for clients.