[pulseaudio-discuss] Failed to create secure directory with ACL

Michael DePaulo mikedep333 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 05:57:52 PDT 2014

On Mon, Apr 7, 2014 at 8:11 AM, Prunk Dump <prunkdump at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello !
>
> The home folders of my users are shared through a CIFS server that
> support Access Control Lists. Pulse audio won't start in those folders
> complaining "Failed to create secure directory: Permission denied".

I have info that may be relevant. I figured I'd at least mention it.

I am maintaining win32 builds, largely because the X2Go project needs them:
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.audio.pulseaudio.general/19865

I see similar warnings with win32 builds on NTFS filesystems. In this
example, this is what happens when I start pulseaudio from the command
line. The ".config" and "pulse" directories above the cookie are
created though:
C:\Users\mike.DEPAULO\.config\pulse\pulse

The config.pa file contains these lines:
load-module module-native-protocol-tcp port=4713
load-module module-esound-protocol-tcp port=4714
load-module module-waveout

C:\Program Files (x86)\x2goclient\pulse-5.0>pulseaudio.exe -n -F
C:\Users\mike.DEPAULO\.x2go\pulse\tmp.Hp8344\config.pa
W: [(null)] pulsecore/core-util.c: Secure directory creation not
supported on Win32.
W: [(null)] pulsecore/core-util.c: Secure directory creation not
supported on Win32.
W: [(null)] pulsecore/core-util.c: Secure directory creation not
supported on Win32.
W: [(null)] pulsecore/core-util.c: Secure directory creation not
supported on Win32.
W: [(null)] pulsecore/core.c: failed to allocate shared memory pool.
Falling back to a normal memory pool.
W: [(null)] pulsecore/authkey.c: Failed to open cookie file
'C:\Users\mike.DEPAULO\.config/pulse/cookie': No such file or
directory
W: [(null)] pulsecore/authkey.c: Failed to load authorization key
'C:\Users\mike.DEPAULO\.config/pulse/cookie': No error
W: [(null)] pulsecore/authkey.c: Failed to open cookie file
'C:\Users\mike.DEPAULO\.pulse-cookie': No such file or directory
W: [(null)] pulsecore/authkey.c: Failed to load authorization key
'C:\Users\mike.DEPAULO\.pulse-cookie': No error
W: [(null)] pulsecore/core-util.c: Secure directory creation not
supported on Win32.
W: [(null)] pulsecore/core-util.c: Secure directory creation not
supported on Win32.
W: [(null)] pulsecore/core-util.c: Secure directory creation not
supported on Win32.

Also, for some reason that I could not determine, when x2goclient.exe
(our app written in QT4) launches pulseaudio.exe, pulseaudio.exe fails
to create those directories. Therefore, pulseaudio.exe fails to create
the cookie, and pulseaudio.exe fails to start. At 1st we worked around
it by creating those 2 directories in x2goclient.exe. Now we are
working around it by passing the "auth-cookie" argument to
module-native-protocol-tcp, so that the cookie is created in a
directory that already exists. (The config.pa file above is an old
one). This issue is detailed here:
http://bugs.x2go.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=422

-Mike DePaulo