[pulseaudio-discuss] When (un)docking PA does not switch output between speakers and out

Lukas Zapletal lukas-x at zapletalovi.com
Fri Apr 18 06:39:40 PDT 2014

Hello,

> In the Redhat bugzilla you mentioned that you switch between the
> Speakers and Analog Output ports. Do you have any other ports available?
> The amixer output[1] shows that there is a Headphone mixer element, so
> I'd expect that you have a Headphones port available too. If you have a
> Headphones port, does selecting it instead of Analog Output work?

It looks like my dock has Mic In and Headphones Out. I've thought it's Line
Out. I have my speakers connected there.

The alsa-info output is not mine there, the bug was reported by someone
else. I have similar model - ThinkPad T430s with this info: http://www.alsa-
project.org/db/?f=4444d39cf1a00bbf91b28ee60cb4504f1cbf4726

> The Analog Output port doesn't and will not have any jack detection
> (it's sort of dummy fallback thing), so the solution shouldn't be to
> enable the Analog Output port when you want to use the dock headphones

Right, this is called Headphone Out on the dock, I initially thought its
Line Out. In Fedora 19 the detection was working correctly - I keep my audio
cable plugged in and after I dock into the station, PA was switching
instantly to my speakers.

> use the latter. We should probably add a new port for dock headphones.

This is a regression, I need to track down what is causing the issue.

> You can use "pactl list cards" to see what PulseAudio thinks is plugged
> in. In the "Ports:" section of the output there's a list of all ports of

pactl list cards: http://sprunge.us/jdcJ

Mine is currently "not available", the system was booted in the dock. Also
tried to disconnect/reconned the cable - no change here. The same when I
undock/redock.

> How come this worked on Fedora 19 then? Maybe the kernel did the
> auto-switching, but in Fedora 20 the kernel leaves the switching to the
> userspace.

That's what I am trying to find out.

I will do some testing with PA verbose logging. Thanks for help!