[pulseaudio-discuss] Patch review status wiki page updated

Tanu Kaskinen tanu.kaskinen at linux.intel.com
Thu Apr 24 09:40:13 PDT 2014

On Fri, 2014-04-18 at 15:57 +0000, Felipe Sateler wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Apr 2014 12:14:02 +0300, Tanu Kaskinen wrote:
>
> > Patch review status updated:
> > http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/PulseAudio/PatchStatus/
> >
> > Statistics:
> >
> > * 2014-04-17
> >    * 157 patches are pending review (not counting the "in a github
> > branch" patches).
>
> What does "in a github branch" mean (what repo)? Does this mean that
> github pull requests are acceptable forms of supplying patches? It
> appears to me that current practice is to *not* submit patches through
> the bugzilla. Is this understanding correct?

Sorry for taking a while with this reply... "In a github branch" means
that the patches only exist in a github branch. They are not included in
the "X patches are pending review" count, because there's no guarantee
that the branch contents don't suddenly change. Github pull requests
certainly aren't the recommended way of submitting patches, but it's not
strictly forbidden either (although I wouldn't mind an "if it's not on
the list, it didn't happen" policy).

Regarding bugzilla, I do follow what is submitted there, but the
preferred submission method is via email (and git send-email is
preferred over patch attachments).

> Background:
>
> I recently joined the PA maintenance team in debian (Hi All!). As I have
> been sifting through old (downstream) bug reports I have forwarded some
> things (as did Balint for the patches we carry), but tracking their
> status is not easy, as it requires searching through the mailing list
> archives to see if the patch had objections, or maybe was resubmitted, or
> was NACKed.
>
> What would be ideal from my POV is a single (unchanging) URL per patch,
> so that I can point my downstream tracker to that and then I can simply
> go check if the patch was merged or not. Currently the forward notes

What do you mean by "forward notes"? Is it some file that Debian PA
maintainers are maintaining?

> do
> not really work as the pointer is to a mailing list archive, and the
> discussion could have moved on since the first submission. In other
> words, it is hard to keep track of the stuff we have forwarded.

What scenario are you thinking of when you say "the discussion could
have moved on since the first submission"? The result of the first
submission should be visible in the mailing list thread, so if you have
a link to the patch in the list archive, doesn't that make it pretty
simple to check the patch status? If another submission has been made in
a different thread, shouldn't you update the "forward notes" at the same
time you submit the new patch?