[pulseaudio-discuss] Any master plan on equalizer/ladspa settings?

Tanu Kaskinen tanu.kaskinen at linux.intel.com
Mon Aug 4 03:06:33 PDT 2014

On Mon, 2014-08-04 at 00:32 +0600, Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
> Hello.
>
> Is there any plan to replace the custom DBus-based volume-like APIs
> currently used by module-equalizer-sink and module-ladspa-sink?

Nobody has volunteered to work on that. That said, the new volume
control API is designed with the possibility of filter controls in mind.

> I am asking because of the "New volume functionality for PulseAudio"
> thread (that didn't mention these modules explicitly) and because of
> various bugs that are reported against module-dbus-protocol used by both
> sinks. However, the "struct pa_bvolume + struct pa_control_volume_data"
> solution proposed in the thread doesn't cover all the needed
> functionality for the ladspa sink. Namely, some controls are not volumes
> but frequencies or enumerations.

pa_bvolume and pa_control_volume_data indeed are inappropriate for the
ladspa sink, but look at the pa_control_info struct:

struct pa_control_info {
    uint32_t index;
    const char *name;
    const char *description;
    pa_proplist *proplist;

    pa_control_type_t type;
    void *data;
};

We can introduce new control types by extending the pa_control_type_t
enumeration and using something else than pa_control_volume_data as the
control data.