[pulseaudio-discuss] pulseaudio on Slackware 14.1

terry trryhend at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 14:34:11 PDT 2014

I installed pulseaudio and what I *think/assume* were it's dependencies,
(from slackbuild scripts)

avahi-0.6.31-x86_64-1_SBo
json-c-0.11-x86_64-1_SB
libasyncns-0.8-x86_64-1_SBo
lirc-0.9.0_3.10.17-x86_64-3_SBo
jack-audio-connection-kit-0.124.1-x86_64-1_SBo
pavucontrol-2.0-x86_64-1_SBo
gtkmm3-3.8.1-x86_64-1_SBo
alsa-plugins-1.0.26-x86_64-1_SBo
pulseaudio-5.0-x86_64-1_SBo
          (listed in order they were installed)

(some were listed as optional dependencies, one of which was orc which
previously installed on Jun 17 )
So....
I got the first set of errors when trying to start it:

> /etc/rc.d/rc.pulseaudio start
> E: [pulseaudio] core-util.c: Failed to create secure directory
> (/var/lib/pulse/.config/pulse): No such file or directory
> Starting pulseaudio...
> W: [pulseaudio] authkey.c: Failed to open cookie file
> '/var/lib/pulse/.config/pulse/cookie': No such file or directory
> W: [pulseaudio] authkey.c: Failed to load authorization key
> '/var/lib/pulse/.config/pulse/cookie': No such file or directory
> W: [pulseaudio] authkey.c: Failed to open cookie file
> '/var/lib/pulse/.pulse-cookie': No such file or directory
> W: [pulseaudio] authkey.c: Failed to load authorization key
> '/var/lib/pulse/.pulse-cookie': No such file or directory
> W: [pulseaudio] authkey.c: Failed to open cookie file
> '/var/lib/pulse/.config/pulse/cookie': No such file or directory
> W: [pulseaudio] authkey.c: Failed to load authorization key
> '/var/lib/pulse/.config/pulse/cookie': No such file or directory
> No protocol specified
> E: [pulseaudio] client-conf-x11.c: xcb_connection_has_error() returned true
> E: [autospawn] core-util.c: Failed to create secure directory
> (/var/lib/pulse/.config/pulse): No such file or directory
> W: [autospawn] lock-autospawn.c: Cannot access autospawn lock.
> E: [pulseaudio] main.c: Failed to acquire autospawn lock

And this is what I got after the stop command:

> /etc/rc.d/rc.pulseaudio stop
> E: [pulseaudio] core-util.c: Failed to create secure directory
> (/var/lib/pulse/.config/pulse): No such file or directory
> pulseaudio is not running.

I [took it upon myself to] add root to the pulse group and so now I just
get

 /etc/rc.d/rc.pulseaudio start
Starting pulseaudio...

No protocol specified
E: [pulseaudio] client-conf-x11.c: xcb_connection_has_error() returned true

And when I stop it:

/etc/rc.d/rc.pulseaudio stop
Stopping pulseaudio...Done

--