[pulseaudio-discuss] Error Building with ORC

Michael DePaulo mikedep333 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 7 22:21:37 PST 2014

I top posted previously, see my reply below.

On Fri, Dec 5, 2014 at 10:17 AM, Michael DePaulo <mikedep333 at gmail.com> wrote:
> It sounds like the cause is the current configuration I am using to build:
> 1. The native OpenSUSE 13.2 ORC compiler (package: orc ) at version 4.22,
> 2. The mingw32 headers (package: mingw32-liborc-devel ) at version 4.16
>
> Although, it looks like the ORC compiler binary (orcc.exe) is actually
> included in mingw32-liborc-devel .
>
> I'll look into this later today.
>
> -Mike
>
> On Fri, Dec 5, 2014 at 9:52 AM, David Henningsson
> <david.henningsson at canonical.com> wrote:
>>

>> On 2014-12-05 15:44, Michael DePaulo wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi David,
>>>
>>> That is indeed the problem. No matter what version of OpenSUSE I use
>>> for the build (I just upgraded from 12.3 to 13.2), mingw32 liborc is
>>> still at version 0.4.16:
>>> https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/windows:mingw:win32/mingw32-orc
>>>
>>> I will look into packaging the latest version of ORC for mingw32, like
>>> I did with json-c.
>>

>> The weird thing is here that orc_program_new_from_static_bytecode is not
>> present in the PulseAudio source code, if we did, we should just
>> build-depend on 0.4.17. So it looks like this is an ORC problem, if the ORC
>> compiler for 0.4.16 emits a symbol that is not present in 0.4.16...?

I was able to build PulseAudio 6.0RC1 with ORC successfuly.
To do this, I upgraded the mingw32-orc source package (and thus the
mingw32-liborc-devel package) to version 4.22; the same version as the
native orc source package.
https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/home:mikedep333:branches:windows:mingw:win32/mingw32-orc

I will try to upstream it with the windows:mingw:win32 team/project on OBS.
https://build.opensuse.org/package/show/windows:mingw:win32/mingw32-orc

However, it seems like the fundamental problem is that while most
compilers like gcc have a cross-compiler version, ORC does not.
Therefore, the mingw32-orc source package is reliant on the orc source
package, and they can get out of sync. I'll ask that team what they
want to do.

-Mike