[pulseaudio-discuss] 'Failed to find a working profile' for firewire sound devices

Takashi Sakamoto o-takashi at sakamocchi.jp
Fri Jan 10 08:46:06 PST 2014

 > So the main question here is if your plan is that your driver will be
 > fixed/improved to support two channel streaming for multichannel
 > devices?

I don't have such plan.

In my understanding, such functionality should be in user-land. Drivers
should just transfer samples from/to application to/from devices, should
do nothing others.

(...To tell the truth, I want to keep drivers as simple as possible for
maintainance reasons ;p)

 > That would probably help a lot of other audio applications, not only
 > PulseAudio.

Exactly. For this issue, I assume that users utilize 'plughw' plugin.
Actually I test drivers with aplay/arecord and this plugin.

But recently, most users use Desctop Environment such as GNOME, KDE. The
sound envoronment of them are already based on PulseAudio. So I want
PulseAudio to adjust the mismatch between applications and actual devices.

 > However, if this means a lot of extra trouble/work for you, we could
 > write a special profile set file in PulseAudio for firewire devices
 > that is more adapted to your driver.

I hope it. What should I do for this idea?

Regards

Takashi Sakamoto
o-takashi at sakamocchi.jp