[pulseaudio-discuss] 'Failed to find a working profile' for firewire sound devices

David Henningsson david.henningsson at canonical.com
Tue Jan 14 02:25:21 PST 2014

On 01/14/2014 10:30 AM, David Henningsson wrote:
> Both these require some alsa-lib coding, so another option is still to
> write a separate PulseAudio profile. :-)

Here's an example of how such a profile could look like (attached, put
this file in /usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/profile-sets). I tested
with the following row added somewhere in the middle of
/lib/udev/rules.d/90-pulseaudio.rules:

SUBSYSTEMS=="firewire", ENV{PULSE_PROFILE_SET}="multichannel.conf"

...but we might want a better match than just "firewire" in order not to
catch the firewire speakers (if they have normal alsa mixers instead of
hwdep control).

Note to other PA developers: one could argue what channel map (aux
channels or surround channels) to have for the multi channel devices.
Since many applications support surround output, I went for the more
pragmatic approach here. But it's not set in stone.

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
https://launchpad.net/~diwic