[pulseaudio-discuss] PA is very silent; doen't use the max hardware volume

Nikos Chantziaras realnc at gmail.com
Thu Jan 23 07:53:21 PST 2014

On 23/01/14 17:42, Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
> 2014/1/23 Nikos Chantziaras <realnc at gmail.com>:
>> It seems that PA refuses to use the maximum hardware volume of my sound card
>> (Asus Xonar D1). As a result, the audio is very silent. I have the volume
>> sliders in pavucontrol set to 100%, but PA only uses 40% (-20db) on the
>> hardware mixer. [...]
>
> Which control are you raising? Maybe it is not in the default mixer
> path known to pulseaudio?

The control is named "Master Front".

>> Isn't PA supposed to use 0db on the hardware by itself?
>
> It is. Please try to fix it without sudo, as follows:
>
> alsamixer -c0
>
> and of course without killing pulseaudio. This way, it will remember
> the volume change, as it came from user input. How do the sliders in
> pavucontrol move during that command?

Ah thanks. Didn't know about this switch. This presents the same mixer
controls as without PA running.

None of the controls in alsamixer move when I move the slider in
pavucontrol, and none of the pavucontrol sliders move when I change the
"Master Front" volume in alsamixer.