[pulseaudio-discuss] PulseAudio Painfully Slow

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at gmail.com
Tue Jul 15 11:59:07 PDT 2014

16.07.2014 00:35, Clemens Eisserer wrote:
> I don't know anybody who still uses a VGA 640x480 display with 16-bit
> color depth - my display is 1920x1280x4 * 30fps = ~280mb/s at 30 fps.

The comparison involved Skype, so it makes sense to include the specs of
Skype video. And it's typically 640x480. As for 2 bytes per pixel, it's
because of YUV420.

> Furthermore, X has to move the data over busses to vram and in the
> worst case do a blit using the CPU.
>
>  From my personal experience, compute-bound workload often tends to be
> easier to handle than bandwidth-bound stuff where suddenly bottlenecks
> are waiting all along the data paths (I do performance-tuning for VLIW
> DSP chips as a living).
>
> Anyway, in my profile I don't see any resampling. Either I am really
> hitting that bug, or it is another inefficiency happening somewhere.

Well, I think that the easiest way to figure that out is to test
PulseAudio from git. It's non-destructive, you don't have to install it,
it runs fine from the build directory as long as --prefix, --sysconfdir
and --localstatedir are the same as in the distribution-provided version.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov