[pulseaudio-discuss] best benchmark tool for pulseaudio ?

Peter Meerwald pmeerw at pmeerw.net
Tue Jul 22 03:09:44 PDT 2014

Hello JC,

> of pulseaudio for each settings. Especially I'd like to check the cpu
> consumption or latency.

> I tried to googling for this and reviewed code briefly to find some unit
> tests for performance checking..
> * oprofile - looks profile each function in point of developer view
> * top or ptop or perf top - difficult to check exact start/end time of pulse
> * cpu-test.c - looks only for resmapling performance

cpu-test and other tests measures sample conversion, channel remapping,
volume scaling and channel mixing -- those are micro-benchmarks

I found perf a very valuable tool for profiling

> I couldn't find proper ways yet. but I believe that there's some official
> or usual tools which pulseaudio(or generic linux audio system) experts use
> to do benchmark or optimize settings on specific system.
> If anybody can recommend something good tools or documents for this
> purpose, it would be really helpful for me.

probably you'll find that resampling (using done using speex) consumes a
large part of the runtime that can easily be identified; one optimization
is to avoid resampling if possible

PA's low-latency audio processing is very CPU intensive, profiling and
improving it is an open issue AFAIK

regards, p.

--

Peter Meerwald