[pulseaudio-discuss] A report about an enhancement for ALSA firewire stack

Takashi Sakamoto o-takashi at sakamocchi.jp
Wed Jul 23 02:17:18 PDT 2014

Dear all,

My work for ALSA firewire stack was pulled into Linux 3.16, therefore
Linux 3.16 newly supports 60-70 firewire sound devices. The work may
affects user-space applications such like FFADO. Additionally, I leave
some issues for the stack.

So I wrote a report about my work.

PDF:
https://github.com/takaswie/alsa-firewire-report/blob/master/firewire.pdf

Repository:
https://github.com/takaswie/alsa-firewire-report

Table of contents
 1. Introduction
 2. Common Specifications
 3. Device features
 4. Existing drivers
 5. Investigation for user-land driver
 6. Investigation for kernel-land driver
 7. Enhancement of ALSA firewire stack
 8. Driver implementation
 9. Rest of issue

I hope ALSA maintainers to read section 8 and 9.

For FFADO developers, section 3, 5, 8 will be good information.

For JACK/PulseAudio and Linux firewire subsystem developers, section 4,
5, 6, 7, 9 will be good information.

I'm not a good English writer and have a little experiences to write
technical documents. It's my glad to receive some corrections,
indications, supplements and so on from you.

Regards

Takashi Sakamoto
o-takashi at sakamocchi.jp