[pulseaudio-discuss] Volume is not maxed on reboot; known bug?

Tanu Kaskinen tanu.kaskinen at linux.intel.com
Thu Jun 5 06:42:32 PDT 2014

On Thu, 2014-06-05 at 16:28 +0300, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> On 05/06/14 16:17, Tanu Kaskinen wrote:
> > On Wed, 2014-06-04 at 10:47 +0300, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
> >> When I boot the system (Gentoo), "pacmd list-sinks" says:
> >>
> >>     left: 65520 / 100% / -0.01 dB, right: 65520 / 100% / -0.01 dB
> >>
> >> I have to first apply a manual volume change (with pavucontrol or kmix)
> >> for it to get to 65536 (0dB.)
> >>
> >> I'm using PulseAudio 5.0 with software volume (hardware volume is not
> >> supported by PulseAudio for my sound card, which is an Asus Xonar D1.)
> >>
> >> There is no "restore volume at startup" business going on. This is how
> >> PA initializes the volume. Is this a known bug?
> >
> > No, it's not known (or at least I don't remember a similar report). What
> > do you mean by there being no volume restoring going on? Have you
> > removed module-device-restore from the configuration, or do you mean
> > that there's no external program restoring the volume on boot?
>
> I meant that I have no external tools that would restore volumes on
> startup (like kmix does by default, and I have disabled that option.)
> Except for the ALSA hardware volume, which PA is unable to use and it
> don't affect this specific issue.
>

> > Can you reproduce the bug with these steps:
> >
> > 1. Disable autospawning:
> >         echo "autospawn = no" >> ~/.config/pulse/client.conf
> >
> > 2. Stop pulseaudio:
> >         killall pulseaudio
> >
> > 3. Start pulseaudio in a terminal with verbose logging:
> >         pulseaudio -vvv
> >
> > 4. Check the volume:
> >         pactl list sinks
> >
> > If you can reproduce the bug (i.e. the volume reported by pactl is not
> > 0.00 dB), could you attach the log output?
>
> Yes, I can reproduce this. If I raise the volume to 0 db manually, then
> exit PA with Ctrl+C and then run it again, the volume is again -0.01 dB.
>
> I am attaching the output of "pulseaudio -vvv".

The wrong volume is coming from the module-device-restore database.
Setting the volume to 0 db manually should update the volume in the
database, but apparently it doesn't. This patch might fix the problem
(so this probably was a known bug after all):
http://cgit.freedesktop.org/pulseaudio/pulseaudio/commit/src/pulsecore/sink.c?id=e0e6bf687573ea8ee3b6b53f8e44bcb30f4914ec