[pulseaudio-discuss] Issue with multiple hdmi codecs in radeonhd, hacked to work

Anssi Hannula anssi.hannula at iki.fi
Sat Jun 21 15:32:25 PDT 2014

21.06.2014 04:52, John Ettedgui kirjoitti:

> On Sat, Nov 30, 2013 at 1:52 AM, John Ettedgui <john.ettedgui at gmail.com
> <mailto:john.ettedgui at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hello,
>
>     I just changed my RadeonHD 4670 for a 7870, and now when I type
>     "aplay -l"  I get many HDMI codecs instead of just one like for the
>     previous card.
>
>     I think this confuses PulseAudio and I get no sound... (with
>     previous card it worked all fine).
>

>     When I type "aplay -L" I get one more codec that I can see it in the
>     pavucontrol profile (not sure which one as the names are irrelevant)
>

>     if in default.pa <http://default.pa> I specify the alsa sink
>     device=hw:0,3 directly, I do get sound, but then in pavucontrol I do
>     not get the advanced sub-menu anymore which makes me think something
>     is not working properly...
>
>     For now I have settled on this hack instead:
>

>     I changed the extra-hdmi.conf in
>     /usr/share/pulseaudio/alsa-mixer/profile-sets file to :
>
>         [Mapping hdmi-surround-extra0]
>         description = Digital Surround 5.1 (HDMI 0)
>         device-strings = hdmi:%f,0
>         paths-output = hdmi-output-0
>         channel-map =
>         front-left,front-right,rear-left,rear-right,front-center,lfe
>         priority = 1
>         direction = output
>
>         [Mapping hdmi-surround-extra3]
>         description = Digital Surround 5.1 (HDMI 3)
>         device-strings = hdmi:%f,0
>         paths-output = hdmi-output-3
>         channel-map =
>         front-left,front-right,rear-left,rear-right,front-center,lfe
>         priority = 1
>         direction = output
>
>     I only need one of these two, somehow they both work...
>
>     Now everything works for me, but since it's not out of the box, I am
>     guessing there might be something out there to fix.
>

>     Please keep me on the thread, I'm not in the ML.
>

>     Best,
>
>     John
>
> Hello,
>
> I just wanted to say, now it works just fine with standard pulse.
> Out of the various profiles it tells me correctly which ones are
> unplugged, and the one that isn't works just fine.
> I am not sure what exactly fixed it as I hadn't tried in a while... but
> anyway, thanks!

Likely a side effect of these two:

https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=7546abfb8e1f9933b549f05898377e9444ee4cb2
https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/?id=dcb32ecd9a533f47ab652c5c5680bc50a7a822cd

If so, it means Pulseaudio still does something inoptimal (i.e. what if
the card actually had only a single playback stream? it would still be
broken).

--
Anssi Hannula