[pulseaudio-discuss] Srbchannel patches are now in master

David Henningsson david.henningsson at canonical.com
Fri Jun 27 05:54:41 PDT 2014

After an ack on IRC, I have now pushed the srbchannel patches to master.
The new protocol is enabled by default.

In short, the new protocol uses a shared ringbuffer, which is faster on
low-latency workloads because the per-packet overhead is lower, compared
to the unix socket/pipes we use today. You should notice a difference on
both server and client side.
It takes a packet extra to set up so extremely short connections (e g
pactl) might take slightly longer to execute, but you're unlikely to notice.

If you want to disable the srbchannel, you can add srbchannel=0 to
protocol-native, like this:

load-module module-native-protocol-unix srbchannel=0

Enjoy, and report if you find any issues.

Also thanks to Peter Meerwald for helping out with benchmarking, bug
finding and testing!

--
David Henningsson, Canonical Ltd.
https://launchpad.net/~diwic