[pulseaudio-discuss] M-Audio Delta 1010

Matt Zagrabelny mzagrabe at d.umn.edu
Mon Jun 30 06:39:36 PDT 2014

On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 12:14 AM, Alexander E. Patrakov
<patrakov at gmail.com> wrote:

>> speaker-test 1.0.27.2
>>
>> Playback device is surround51:1
>> Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 6 channels
>> WAV file(s)
>> Sample format not available for playback: Invalid argument
>> Setting of hwparams failed: Invalid argument
>

> OK, so your card only accepts 32-bit samples.
>
> pasuspender -- speaker-test -t wav -c6 -D 'plug:"surround51:1"'

This works as expected.

>>> pasuspender -- speaker-test -t wav -c8 -D surround71:1
>>

>> % pasuspender -- speaker-test -t wav -c8 -D surround71:1
>>
>> speaker-test 1.0.27.2
>>
>> Playback device is surround71:1
>> Stream parameters are 48000Hz, S16_LE, 8 channels
>> WAV file(s)
>> ALSA lib confmisc.c:1286:(snd_func_refer) Unable to find definition
>> 'cards.ICE1712.pcm.surround71.0:CARD=1'
>> ALSA lib conf.c:4248:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer
>> returned error: No such file or directory
>> ALSA lib conf.c:4727:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such file
>> or directory
>> ALSA lib pcm.c:2239:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM surround71:1
>> Playback open error: -2,No such file or directory
>

> Well, this confirms the issue. Please replace the
> /usr/share/alsa/cards/ICE1712.conf file with the attached one and see if it
> helps. Also please verify the channel positions. Again, a plug will be
> necessary:
>
> pasuspender -- speaker-test -t wav -c8 -D 'plug:"surround71:1"'

This works as expected.

> Please also verify that the Analog Surround 7.1 profile appears in
> PulseAudio after that (you need to restart PulseAudio: killall pulseaudio).

The Analog Surround 7.1 profile does show in PA. Thanks!

There is one issue regarding the per channel volume. I am jacked into
"Side Right" channel, but adjusting the Side Right channel volume in
the output tab of pavucontrol doesn't change the volume - only the
"Front Right" volume slider affects the volume. Digging further
(jacking into each channel and sliding the per channel volumes) only
the Front Left/Front Right channels adjust the volume for any of the
channels.

Front Left (1) will affect: Front Left (1), Rear Left (3), Front
Center (5), Side Left (7)
Front Right (2) will affect: Front Right (2), Rear Right (4), Front
Center (5), Side Right (8)

The "subwoofer" or "Rear Center" channel (6) did not output any sound
when I played my ogg123 -d pulse. However, the speaker-test was
successful in outputting sound out that channel.

> If that succeeds, I will post the formal patch to the alsa-devel list.
>
> As for the second SPDIF, sorry, I think there is some misunderstanding here.
> According to the reviews, the card has one spdif input and one spdif output,
> both of which are already supported.

It is both conceivable and highly likely that I misread,
misunderstood, or mis-remembered the card's capabilities.

Thanks for all your help, Alexander!

Sincerely,

-mz