[pulseaudio-discuss] [Patch] alsa: Use card description in default sink/source prefix when available

Pete Beardmore pete.beardmore at msn.com
Fri Mar 14 06:59:07 PDT 2014

Quoting Tanu Kaskinen <tanu.kaskinen at linux.intel.com>:

> Thanks, looks good.

excellent, many thanks for reviewing it

> I'd like to include a more concrete explanation of the use case behind
> the patch. The commit message says that it's desirable to override
> "Built-in Audio" with a more specific description, but at least on my
> machine the built-in sound card description is also "Built-in Audio", so
> the patch does nothing for me. Have you customized your card
> description?

yes, i do customise my card names to contain the chip id. displaying
this info is the only point of this patch

"-given an explicit device.description in card_properties, prefer this
information over other default prefixes (e.g. 'Built-in Audio') when
constructing sink/source descriptions"

the first sentence of the commit message does state that 'given an
explicit device.description in card_properties [..do xyz]', so not
sure how i'd improve on that, other than maybe prefixing the word
'when'..

cheers