[pulseaudio-discuss] Pulseaudio not available on D-BUS ??

Tanu Kaskinen tanu.kaskinen at linux.intel.com
Tue May 6 10:26:48 PDT 2014

On Tue, 2014-05-06 at 18:21 +0200, Fabrice Delente wrote:
> I found this in the doc
> (http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/PulseAudio/Documentation/Developer/Clients/DBus/ConnectingToServer/)

> When a client wants to connect to a server, it reads the
> $PULSE_DBUS_SERVER environment variable, which contains a server
> address or a list of addresses, as specified in the D-Bus
> Specification, section Server Addresses. The client should be able to
> use the string directly as the address parameter of the underlying
> D-Bus library's connect function.
>
> If $PULSE_DBUS_SERVER is not set, the client reads the Address
> property (part of the org.PulseAudio.ServerLookup1 interface) of
> object /org/pulseaudio/server_lookup1. The destination of the call is
> org.PulseAudio1.
>
> I don't have PULSE_DBUS_SERVER set in my environment, and I can't read
> anything on the bus, so I'm stuck... I tried the python code given on
> the wiki page, but I get
>
> dbus.exceptions.DBusException:
> org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name org.PulseAudio1
> was not provided by any .service files
>
> so the documentation is either out of date, or my system is broken
> (though all my audio goes through pulseaudio without problem...)

Weird. When pulseaudio is compiled with d-bus support and it's being run
in the per-user mode, it should take the org.PulseAudio1 bus name on the
session bus (regardless of whether module-dbus-protocol is loaded or
not), but the error sounds like the session bus has no service with name
org.PulseAudio1. The example code works on my machine just fine.