[pulseaudio-discuss] incomplete IPv6 support in pa_socket_client_new_string()

Tanu Kaskinen tanu.kaskinen at linux.intel.com
Sun Nov 2 05:01:46 PST 2014

On Fri, 2014-10-31 at 18:07 -0600, Glenn Golden wrote:
> However, regarding syntax validation: Judging from pactl's behavior in the
> above ticket (83657) pa_parse_address() either isn't doing a very careful
> job of validation, or the error return is being ignored by pactl. It (pactl)
> acccepts some pretty nonsensical server specification strings without
> complaining.

I once checked this from Wikipedia: the DNS specification allows any
characters, so from that perspective there's no bug. The root DNS
servers that manage the Internet only allow letters, digits and hyphens,
however. I think it would make sense to restrict the domain names
similarly in PulseAudio, so the bug that you reported is valid, even
though in theory such validation may cause breakage on private networks
with crazy names.