[pulseaudio-discuss] only ALAC! [Was: raop on gentoo+systemd]

SGT. Garcia darwinskernel at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 12:01:55 PST 2014

> On Nov 12  20:43 +0100, Martin Blanchard wrote:
> > On Wed, 2014-11-12 at 10:30 -0500, SGT. Garcia wrote:
> >
> > thanks, it works now with "codec=ALAC". would it do FLAC? i mean what does
> > it entail to use ALAC? i also tried codec=all which failed.
>
> Only ALAC is supported at the time. Well, actually, 'uncompressed' ALAC
> is used, which is basically equivalent to raw PCM. FLAC is not supported
> and will probably never be: RAOP only allows PCM, ALAC or AAC.

i see, PCM should be fine if it's what i think it is which is not to touch
the quality with compression schemes.

on a different note, there is a huge lag when using mpv to playback
audio/video which is a problem because mpv is the main player on this
system including web/streaming videos and that where the lag comes into
play. i don't think the lag is mpv related and is only a problem for
video playback for obvious reasons.

i will be doing some more test tomorrow (next 24 hours) with Ethernet
connection to see if the problem is with the wireless connection. broadcom
sucks as we all know and this system uses their wl wireless driver which
doesn't do 11n despite what it's advertised for...

SGT. Garcia