[pulseaudio-discuss] Merging soxr

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at gmail.com
Tue Nov 18 11:58:04 PST 2014

19.11.2014 00:42, Andrey Semashev wrote:
> On Tuesday 18 November 2014 21:32:53 Alexander E. Patrakov wrote:
>>>
>>> Well, the result will be inoptimal rather than completely not working
>>> without a working pa_resampler_request (especially given that Andrey
>>> seems to be satisfied with the current behaviour). If we're given fewer
>>> samples back than we expected, we'll just go through another round of
>>> resampling/mixing/etc, which I assume is what happens here.
>>
>> Well, now I have looked at the code in sink.c and sink-input.c, and I
>> must say that I don't like it. Namely, there are assertions in
>> fill_mix_info():
>>
>>           pa_assert(info->chunk.memblock);
>>           pa_assert(info->chunk.length > 0);
>>
>> At the very least, the first assertion should be moved up, because just
>> above them, in the conditional statement, info->chunk.memblock is passed
>> to pa_memblock_is_silence().
>>
>> Also there are assertions in pa_sink_input_peek() that are very similar
>> in nature, and I don't see how it is guaranteed that the assertions
>> never fail.
>>
>> So the devious sequence of events seems to be (assuming S16 stereo samples):
>>
>> pa_sink_input_peek is called with slength == 8 or something like that.
>>
>> pa_resampler_request() returns 8 or something like that.
>>
>> i->pop(), when asked to provide 8 bytes, creates a memchunk (tchunk) of
>> this length.
>>
>> pa_resampler_run() eats the full tchunk, but produces nothing (an empty
>> rchunk).
>>
>> As rchunk is empty, nothing gets pushed onto render_memblockq.
>>
>> Then pa_memblockq_peek() gets called, and it is asserted that the
>> returned chunk exists and is not empty. Which looks dubious, and I think
>> that we can try triggering this with a very-low-latency client
>> (unpatched wine or maybe qemu?).
>>
>> So, incorrect results from pa_resampler_request() look dangerous when
>> the difference results in zero vs non-zero output samples from
>> pa_resampler_run().
>>
>> Of course, all of the above is in no way specific to the soxr resampler.
>> An imprecise pa_resampler_request() is a bug. What bothers me is that
>> soxr has a higher chance to trigger this bug.
>
> So, what will be the resolution of this problem? Should I work towards
> relaxing the requirement on pa_resampler_request() being precise or is this
> requirement permanent?

I think that the temporary resolution would be to add a loop that calls
pa_resampler_run repeatedly. IOW, the loop that David assumed as
existing but which actually doesn't exist in pa_sink_input_peek().

> Out of my experience, you generally can't make a function like
> pa_resampler_request() to be always correct. Speex is rather special in the
> way it generates silence while filling, and it has constant delay. I could
> probably emulate such behavior for soxr by adding a repacketizer before the
> resampler and then adding silence samples before the first output sample is
> produced. pa_resampler_request() for soxr then could return something like 40
> ms, just to be sure you'll get some samples with this amount of input. Would
> this be an acceptable solution?

Well, that statement is only true for library-based resamplers. And my
viewpoint here (which is an extremist viewpoint not shared by other
developers) is: all library-based resamplers must eventually die, unless
a 100% working one appears. One of the reasons is that none of them
implement rewinding, the other reason is pa_resampler_request() being
imprecise (exactly because the precise version would be specific for
each resampler). So, my viewpoint is that PulseAudio should have its own
resampler, not based on any library, but based on the best-of-the-breed
algorithms, that implements fast high-quality resampling, in a
rewindable way and with precise estimation of the number of input
samples needed to produce the given number of output samples, and the
other way round.

Yes, I think we must invent the wheel, because all existing stock wheels
are square.

--
Alexander E. Patrakov