[pulseaudio-discuss] [Ubuntu-audio-dev] Preferred resampler method on armhf.

Alexander E. Patrakov patrakov at gmail.com
Wed Nov 19 23:40:00 PST 2014

20.11.2014 12:35, David Henningsson wrote:
> Crossposting to Debian and upstream lists.
>
> Apparently Debian has a patch that uses fixed point by default on armhf,
> so I'm just echoing Luke's question here: Has anybody performed any
> testing or benchmarks across armhf hardware, w r t fixed point vs
> floating point resampling with speex and PulseAudio?

That patch has been superseded by this commit:

http://cgit.freedesktop.org/pulseaudio/pulseaudio/commit/?id=ac984f59d36ef555bc5b0df9af1cd48193d0d14f

So, if you prefer a fixed-point resampler on armhf (or, for that matter,
on any other architecture), just compile speex with --enable-fixed-point
there.

The benchmarking question is still open.

> Reference:
> http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/pkg-pulseaudio/pulseaudio.git/tree/debian/patches/0002-Use-the-fixed-point-speex-resampler-on-ARM.patch
>

> On 2014-11-18 00:25, Luke Yelavich wrote:
>> Hey folks.
>> I'm starting to work on merging Ubuntu and Debian packaging for
>> pulseaudio. One of the patches Debian currently has is to use fixed
>> point on all arm flavours they support. The argument given is that
>> float resampling doesn't necessarily perform better than fixed point
>> resampling, even on hard float capable hardware, and sometimes it is
>> worse. here is the blurb taken from the patch:
>>
>> Switch to use the speex fixed point resampler method by default on ARM.
>> Traditionately there wasn't any standard floating point hardware, so for
>> those machines it's an obvious choise. On machine using the hardfloat
>> ABI floating point still isn't an obvious win over integer performance,
>> it's of equal performance on some machines, but slower on others.
>>
>> Has anybody performed any testing or benchmarks on the hardware we
>> support? Should we just drop this and continue to use floating point
>> resampler code?
>>
>> Luke

Alexander E. Patrakov