[pulseaudio-discuss] Bluez5 ofono-backend Issues with current GIT

Tanu Kaskinen tanu.kaskinen at linux.intel.com
Fri Oct 17 03:37:00 PDT 2014

On Mon, 2014-10-13 at 22:34 +0200, Georg Chini wrote:
> On 13.10.2014 16:09, Luiz Augusto von Dentz wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > On Sat, Oct 11, 2014 at 10:32 PM, Georg Chini <georg at chini.tk> wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I just pulled a current GIT and installed it. I find two issues with the
> >> ofono backend:
> >>
> >> 1) When I connect my headset the device does not vanish
> >> when I disconnect it. pactl list cards still shows
> >> card #4
> >>          Name: bluez_card.00_19_7F_41_DB_2E
> >>          Treiber: module-bluez5-device.c
> >>          Owner-Modul: 28
> >>          Eigenschaften:
> >>                  device.description = "590Plantronics"
> >>                  device.string = "00:19:7F:41:DB:2E"
> >>                  device.api = "bluez"
> >>                  device.class = "sound"
> >>                  device.bus = "bluetooth"
> >>                  device.form_factor = "headset"
> >>                  bluez.path = "/org/bluez/hci1/dev_00_19_7F_41_DB_2E"
> >>                  bluez.class = "0x240404"
> >>                  bluez.alias = "590Plantronics"
> >>                  device.icon_name = "audio-headset-bluetooth"
> >>                  device.intended_roles = "phone"
> >>          Profile:
> >>                  headset_head_unit: Headset Head Unit (HSP/HFP) (sinks: 1,
> >> sources: 1, priority: 20, available: no)
> >>                  a2dp_sink: High Fidelity Playback (A2DP Sink) (sinks: 1,
> >> sources: 0, priority: 10, available: yes)
> >>                  off: Aus (sinks: 0, sources: 0, priority: 0, available: yes)
> >>          Aktive Profile: off
> >>          Profile:
> >>                  headset-output: Headset (priority: 0, latency offset: 0
> >> usec)
> >>                          Part of profile(s): headset_head_unit, a2dp_sink
> >>                  headset-input: Headset (priority: 0, latency offset: 0 usec,
> >> not available)
> >>                          Part of profile(s): headset_head_unit
> >>
> >> I cannot re-connect the headset before I restart pulse.
> >> With my phone there is no such problem, the device appears
> >> and disappears as expected.
> > That should never happen, are you sure it disconnected? a2dp_sink
> > still shows as available which indicates you are still connected.
> Yes, I am sure it was disconnected, tried it a couple of times.
> Don't have the same issue with the original ofono patches.
> If I try to switch profile in that state, pulse crashes (which is
> probably expected).

Could you file a bug? I think this should be investigated before the
next release, but I don't have time for that right now.

> >> 2) When I connect my phone and use it, the profile switches to
> >> HFP and if it's no longer in use the profile switches to off after
> >> a timeout (this was not the case with the initial ofono patches).
> >> This is the same as with Bluez4. The problem is, that with Bluez5
> >> there is no D-Bus signal which indicates the profile switch. If you
> >> have loopback modules connected to phone input/output, they
> >> will fall back to the default source/sink without giving the software
> >> a chance to react to this.
> > Hmm, if you maintain the loopbacks externally that would be a problem
> That is exactly my problem. I do not use module-bluetooth-policy
> so the software has to know when the profile changes. There is
> no Dbus-signal at all, so I would have to poll the availability of the
> port. Another problem is that at the moment the loopback modules
> fall back to their defaults I get lots of feedback because the microphone
> is looped back to the speakers.

What D-Bus signals do you mean? Typically applications don't use D-Bus
to communicate with PulseAudio. Getting notifications about profile
changes in PulseAudio can be done with the subscription API in libpulse.