[pulseaudio-discuss] About the routing patches

Tanu Kaskinen tanu.kaskinen at linux.intel.com
Sun Oct 19 05:21:58 PDT 2014

Hi,

In Düsseldorf we discussed a bit about the plan regarding the routing
patches. The situation remains that nobody else than David has looked
into the patches, and David would rather not merge the patches, because
the infrastructure alone doesn't solve any problems. The point was
repeated that it's hard to review the infrastructure if it's not visible
how it will be used.

The idea of rewriting the infrastructure as a module was brought up.
Having the code in a module was considered to be easier to accept in
upstream, and my impression was that everyone thought that would be a
good idea. It occurred to me later that we didn't actually discuss it in
very concrete terms how a module-based approach would work better, so
let's do it now.

The routing patches that have been written so far are divided into
several sets. If we imagine that I would have originally put the
infrastructure in a module, would the patch sets have been accepted to
the master branch without waiting for more code? Reviewing would have
been equally hard, because the final picture wouldn't have been
available in this case either. Would I have got the permission to push
the code without any review, or with lower-quality review? I guess so,
but I'd like to get a confirmation for that before I start from scratch
again.