[pulseaudio-discuss] PulseAudio and OpenAL games: AL lib: pulseaudio.c:331: PulseAudio returned minreq > tlength/2; expect break up

Martin Steigerwald Martin at lichtvoll.de
Sat Oct 25 08:11:17 PDT 2014

HI Raymond,

Am Donnerstag, 18. September 2014, 10:14:17 schrieb Raymond Yau:

> expect

> > > I'm not very familiar with OpenAL, and a quick look through the source
> > > (in Ubuntu 14.04) did not show any such warning message.
> > >
> > > So I'm not sure what that warning means, and if the error is in OpenAL
> > > or in PulseAudio.
> > >
> > > In theory, any application should be able deal with big minreqs and
> > > tlengths. In practice I know we've had issues with tlengths increasing
> > > gradually in the past, and I'm not sure all those issues have been root
> > > caused.
> >
> > Thanks for looking into this.
> >
> > I tried PlaneShift without PulseAudio but with setting:
> >
> > device = default:CARD=Pebbles
> >
> > into /etc/openal/alsoft.conf
>
> This mean you have customized pcm.default or still using old version of
> alsa lib
>
> http://git.alsa-project.org/?p=alsa-lib.git;a=commitdiff;h=e6f990e5c9be5cac6
> f36924d20a75d0f69d27297;hp=e2c2262403c5639c7ff96f47a43682ff16b7ae4f

But thats just related to default audio device, not to the issue at hand or is
it?

I reported it today – together with hints on where to obtain open source
client and how to reproduce:

Bug 85445 - PlaneShift with OpenAL sound stutters: PulseAudio returned minreq
> tlength/2; expect break up
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/85445

I think I will look into that ALSA default issue as well. But would really be
nice if I can switch to PulseAudio finally. Only issue left at the moment is
PlaneShift sound output.

Ciao,