[pulseaudio-discuss] pulseaudio (V5) incorrect rate detection on usb sound card with raspberry

Tanu Kaskinen tanu.kaskinen at linux.intel.com
Tue Oct 28 04:06:02 PDT 2014

On Tue, 2014-10-28 at 10:42 +0000, mailing lists wrote:
> >Your usb audio seem support mono, stereo, 8 bits and 16 bits
> >
> >and some endpoint support 8000,11025,16000,22025Hz
> >
> >Seem like driver bug if you can only use 32000 44100 and 48000Hz
>
> The 8000, 11025, 16000 and 22050 values are capture samplerates (see
> below /proc/asound/card1/stream0 output), for playback the card
> support 32000, 44100, 48000.
>
> my laptop is running kernel 3.17.1 and the raspberry kernel 3.12.29,
> which are less than a year apart and both reports the same
> capabilities, so why PA 5 detects different samplerates? I even run PA
> as root to discard file permissions problems but the result is the
> same.
>
> As I said I'm out of ideas, but it seems a problem with PA, is there
> anything that I can do to find the cause?

I'm not sure if you mentioned this already before (sorry for not
bothering to check), but is the PA version the same between the
machines? If not, then something may have been fixed in PA, but in any
case it seems more likely to me that there was some change in the kernel
driver or alsa-lib that fixed the issue that makes PulseAudio conclude
that the sound card doesn't support 44100 Hz.